QTAssistant 7.x runs on any Windows operating system supporting .NET Framework 4.6.1 (or newer). The installation package is a standard MSI Setup; it meets the latest Microsoft Windows logo certification requirements and follows Windows Installer best practices. The installer and the application do not require administrative priviliges.
Supported Operating System
- Windows 7 SP1 (x86 and x64)
- Windows 8 (x86 and x64)
- Windows 8.1 (x86 and x64)
- Windows 10
- Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (x64)
- Windows Server 2012 (x64)
- Windows Server 2012 R2 (x64)
- Windows Installer 3.1 or later
- Internet Explorer 11 or later
- .NET Framework 4.6.1 or later
- 1.0 GHz or faster processor
- 512 MB of RAM
- 400 MB available disk space during install
For illustration, on a standard Windows 7 machine, the install copies files to the following locations:
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Paschi\QTAssistant x.y.z\ = Main program files. This location can be overriden during install.
- C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\QTAssistant7 = User settings and preference files. This location cannot be overriden.
QTAssistant supports xcopy deployment.
The following registry entries are created by the install program and are used by the auto updater program only.
- HKCU (or LM)/Software/Paschi - Research and Development, Inc./QTAssistant7/Folder = Location of the main program files.
- HKCU (or LM)/Software/Paschi - Research and Development, Inc./QTAssistant7/Version = The version of the installed package.
A new version of QTAssistant can be installed side-by-side with any other older version. All minor versions share the same user data folder.
Migrating from QTAssistant 6.x
QTAssistant maintains information about external files (Server Explorer, Automation) using relative paths. All relative paths are calculated using the main program files folder as the base URI. To preserve previous' version references to external files, the install of the new version must be done in a folder that is sibling (i.e. same parent folder) with the previous version.
The very first time a new major version runs, QTAssistant automatically attempts to migrate settings from a previously supported version. In case this procedure needs to be overridden, or for backup purposes, the following files may be manually copied between the user settings and preference folders:
- .automation - Contains automation metadata, such as script sets, assembly references and the path to external script files.
- .serverexplorer.xml - Contains server explorer metadata, such as proxies, WebSphere MQ configuration, and Web Service references.
- .xmleditor - Contains XML editor preferences, such as association between files and XML Schemas, stylesheets, validation, etc.
Each major version uses a different license file - old license files will not work. Ensure that a new license is available and installed in the user settings and preferences folder.